RAF Swannington was a Royal Air Force base located 1.9 miles south of Cawston and 9.3 miles north west of Norwich in Norfolk, England.
It was formed in April 1944 in the estate of Haveringland Hall. The RAF base was abandoned in November 1947 and turned over to agriculture. Part of the Brandiston-Swannington road still runs over remains of the runways.
The first squadrons to use Swannington were 85 Squadron RAF, which moved from RAF West Malling, and 57 Squadron RAF from RAF Valley; these were under the command of 100 Group RAF and flew Havilland Mosquitos. These squadrons supported bombing operations as part of RAF Bomber Command.
Both squadrons were temporarily moved to RAF West Malling to counter the V-1 flying bomb threat before returning in late August 1944 to re-commence bomber support operations. On 27 June 1945 85 Squadron moved to RAF Castle Camps and shortly after, on 16 August 1945, 157 Squadron disbanded, and the airfield was passed over to RAF Maintenance Command.
Haveringland Hall was demolished in 1948. Many Nissen huts were sited in the extensively wooded and landscaped garden. After the decommissioning of the RAF station, these grounds were used for a caravan and camping ground.
More information to follow