APPENDIX " E."
Malaya Command Operation Instruction No. 33.
1. Enemy has continued attacks on 11 Ind. Div which has suffered heavily. 9 Ind Div is fresher but weak.
2. Malaya Comd, in conjunction with R.N., R.A.F. and civil defence services will continue to ensure security of Singapore Naval Base.
3. Singapore Fortress will send one regular Ind bn. to relieve A.I.F. bn. in area Kota Tinggi on 10th January, 1942.
4. Comd. A.I.F. Malaya will take over from 3 Ind Corps operational control of Settlement of Malacca and that part of Johore north of line G. Besar—Labis—Semerah with effect from receipt of this order.
5. A.I.F. will concentrate one A.I.F. bde. gp. (less two coys. on Kluang and Kahang aero dromes) in area Segamat as soon as possible.
6. 45 Ind Inf Bde Gp will come under comd. of A.I.F. Malaya with effect from receipt of this order.
7. 3 Ind Corps will withdraw from present posns into Johore, covered by maximum possible demolitions. Withdrawal will be carried out by rail and by M.T. as ordered by the Corps Comd.
"Withdrawal will be covered by rear guards on the demolitions (.) A.I.F. as soon as it can do so is to send forward mobile detachments into Negri Sembilan to relieve rearguards of 3 Ind Corps and harass and delay the enemy by demolitions."
8. On entering Johore, 9 Ind Div and one twelve gun bty 80 A.Tk Regt will come under comd of Comd A.I.F. Malaya. 3 Ind Corps will arrange for G and Q staff officers of 9 Ind Div to report to Adv H.Q. A.LF. Malaya as soon as possible for liaison purposes.
9. 3 Ind Corps less 9 Ind Div and one bty. 80 A.Tk Regt will, on withdrawal, take over operational responsibility for Sonthern Johore up to and incl the line Endau—G. Beremban— Kluang—Batu Pahat. Date on which 3 Ind Corps will assume this responsibility will be fixed later. Until this date is notified, Comd A.I.F. Malaya will be operationally responsible for whole of State of Jonore and Settlement of Malacca.
3 Ind Corps will be prepared to provide one bde gp of 11 Ind Div to take place of A.I.F. tps on rd Kahang—Kluang and to relieve two coys A.I.F. at Kahang and Kluang aerodromes (see para 5 above).
10. During latter stages of withdrawal, 3 Ind Corps will detail a staff officer to be at Adv H.Q. A.I.F. Malaya to advise as to when rds forward of posns held by tps under Comd A.I.F. Malaya may be demolished.
11. Comd Johore Malacca Area will continue to be responsible for administration of comd depots and units not allotted to formations in State of Johore and Settlement of Malacca.
12. 3 Ind Corps and A.I.F. Malaya will have equal running rights on all rds in Johore.
13. Adv H.Q. A.I.F. Malaya will be estab lished at Labis. Rear H.Q. A.I.F. Malaya will remain at Johore Bahru. H.Q. 3 Ind. Corps will be established at Johore Bahru after withdrawal.
K. S. TORRANCE.
General Staff, Malaya Command.
9th January, 1942.